Sunday, September 12, 2010

school, scrapping and a new recipe

The school year for the agency I work for started last Tuesday, September 7th. If you want to talk about a long and hectic week!


But it got me to thinking and reflecting on my early school experiences. Growing up as a Catholic in the 1950’s, I began every single school day with mass. The mass itself was mostly incomprehensible - what little kid knew Latin!? There was this forty five minute daily challenge of what to do while God was at work up there at the alter, in a foreign language.
The nuns kept a tight lid on fidgeting and/or talking to your peers. I can honestly say that the way the nuns dressed perplexed me. They were all uniformly dressed in distinct clothing called habits, a long robe like dress, starched coifs, veils and a looped rosary.
The only nuns I encountered, close up and personal, were harsh, and not very child friendly. In fact, I was educated by nuns who were cruel and most certainly not loving in any way. I have no idea if the church officially sanctioned slapping children or not, but I was on the receiving end of those holy rights and lefts on more than one occasion and often experienced verbal abuse. My Catholic school experiences made me tougher, wiser and less trusting of people in power than I might otherwise have become . . . maybe that’s a good thing. I do know it shaped my image of the nature of teaching.



In the last month I have acquired a ton of scrappy supplies, some for DT projects and some . . . well just because I thought I had to have them.
So many projects to do, so many cool supplies to play with, and so little time.
Here’s a few sneak peeks using the Happy Holly Days Collection by Nikki Sivis and the Block Party Collection by BoBunny. These will be revealed at Croppin Paradise later this month.








I’m always looking for easy recipes to try and this one is easy as well as delicious! I would have never thought of using Cottage Cheese like this!

Sunrise Pizza
2 frozen whole wheat or multi grain waffles
1/3 cup Cottage Cheese
1 cup strawberries
1 Tbsp. honey
4 dashes ground cinnamon

(I added 2 Tbsp. whipped topping.)

Prepare the waffles accdording to package directions. 
Spread each waffle with a portion of the cottage cheese,
and 1/2 cup of the strawberries. 
Drizzle each waffle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment