Sunday, May 23, 2010

Mango Slaw

For me, growing up in the 50’s was a great peaceful, satisfying time. My childhood was a time of Ozzie and Harriet, leave it to Beaver and Father Knows Best. My family, like most families I knew, always sat down for meals together, including breakfast. We were expected to be on time, help serve, clear and clean up. We were also expected to participate in the table conversation. Sunday midday dinner was served in the dining room. We wore our church clothes and used the best china. We all ate the same food, no special menus or diets were considered. We certainly understood that we needed to “clean our plates” and if we balked the “starving children of the world” were quickly mentioned. Many of my fondest childhood memories are food related . . . my mother canning surplus fruits and vegetables for instance. I loved watching her assembly line. There was a big freezer in the basement and my mother froze the excess garden harvest. I can remember my mother trying out new recipes found in the Sunday newspaper.

Well I don’t can or freeze the excess garden harvest . . . we don’t even have a garden. But I love trying out new recipes. When our children were little they use to look through my home and garden magazines and pick out recipes that they thought looked good and/or interesting and we would try them. Some of those recipes have become family favorites (Strawberry Cheese Delight) and some were never to be made again (Sausage Casserole).

I still like to try new recipes . . . some are keepers and some are never to be made again. One of the keepers is this Mango Slaw recipe - easy to make and delicious too!

Mango Slaw

4 cups of cabbage & carrot slaw mix

1 cup mango, peeled and diced

1/4 cup red onion (optional)

Mix together

Make the Dressing

¼ cup mayo

1 T cider vinegar

1 T sugar

¼ t salt

Mix well & then mix with the slaw mixture

Serve & Enjoy

I substituted the cabbage and carrot slaw mix with a broccoli slaw mix.


No comments:

Post a Comment